Here is a short demonstration video of the split mode as implemented in the original Linnstrument. By using the split mode one can access all 200 pads. With a judicious selection of synthesizer and range one can extend a tuning well beyond the current midi standard of 128 notes. The short demonstration piece uses two non-octave tunings => 5/4 divided into 4 and 5/4 divided into 8 notes respectively.
Archive for the ‘Musical Technique’ Category
X 48 is a music / video montage using a Linnstrument, u-he’s Diva in 7 edo, Garritan Personal Orchestra, chamber orchestra present in 14 edo, Garritan Personal Orchestra concert grand piano in 21 edo – all images were taken and processed by me. Audio only.
photo by Chris Vaisvil
off tracks age is an aeolian harp sample that was recomposed by using Melodyne 4’s adaptive Just Intonation and rhythm normalization functions and then the exported result was modified using Native Instrument’s Guitar Rig 5 and Cakewalk Sonar’s Breverb.
September – a collaboration of Christiane Offenbar, Meolog, and myself. All of the audio is derived from Christiane’s singing of Meolog’s poem which is below. The processing created tracks that were based on harmonic series started on 27.5 cents, 41.25 cents, and parallel tracks in a fugue at the octave, minor 3rd, 4th, and 5th.
noch einmal auf
und lichtet sich
mit den bäumen
mit dem wind
Picture by Chris Vaisvil
The Temple of Clouds is a combination of processed electric 17 edo guitar and timelapse video – at about 5 through 6 minutes you can see a thunderstorm come through. The video was recorded with a Brinno TLC200 time lapse camera.The tuning is unknown though a 17 edo guitar was used to generate the starting point.
Bat Bomb is part of an ongoing series of experiments to try to learn how to make aeolian harp type sounds. In this case I used Uhe’s Brazille with a patch that manipulated the overtone by adjusting the modwheel. Using my Linnstrument in MPE mode I was able to independently adjust the overtone (13 in total per note) by moving my finger in the “Y” dimension (which was routed to the modwheel channel control) and the root note from Carlos “Super JI” tuning by selecting the pad I played. The original patch had a lot of high end to it and are some time listening to it I decided to turn the filters down to try to get closer to a sine wave. Then I experimented with tempo. I find the 60 BPM version the most interesting at the time I am writing this post though there are some interesting peculiarities of each version. And, no, I don’t feel that came close to the aeolian harp, yet I think the experiment has its merit in learning sound design technique and audio result. Of course YMMV. I present the audio in the order I find most interesting. And yes, the bat bomb was real – click the photo to read about it as you listen.
A Guide to Window-Dressing is processed 22 edo electric guitar.
The above aeolian harp sample (from 2014-11-07 21:12:51 pm) had an interesting sonority to my ears. I wanted to find out what the chord was so that I could reproduce it. So I put it into Melodyne to analyze the chord. As I listened to the file and looked at the display there seemed to be a bit of a disconnect. So I dissected the sample (Sections labeled A through H by ear – there are two disjunct groups) into individual files. Then I normalized them and ran them through Melodyne once more. The resulting sound files and analysis are below. You will notice that in some cases what was a single tone in the original now breaks into more than one note. In other cases more than one note is heard but Melodyne doesn’t show them as separate – I think in these cases the program analysis is tagging them as part of the harmonics which is shown below the main window of the program. Since an aeolian harp is a special case where the harmonics of this is a special case, interesting though it may be. Most of the dead air was removed from the A through H audio samples.
The labeled file below is in Hz. You can download the audio and graphics here as a zip file.
Full file (click on any graphic to enlarge / download)
Red Sands Maunsell Forts is quasi-ambient piece constructed from loops taken from a 17 edo guitar improvisation and the subsequent loops processed and live sequenced using Sonar’s matrix view (the graphic below). While it doesn’t have the flexibility of Albelton Live, I find the the constructs to be interesting despite being laborious to set up.
click to enlarge
I have been archiving past projects and I ran across this fragment of The Rite of Spring (French: Le Sacre du printemps; Russian: «Весна священная», Vesna svyashchennaya, ‘sacred spring’) and decided it would be interesting to render it in adaptive just intonation since that has been a recent topic of interest on the Facebook group Xenharmonic Alliance II. The video is an overlay of the score and the real time adjustments made by the Kontakt included factory script. I selected the factory brass ensemble which in my opinion rendered a nice version of one of my favorite passages of the piece. YMMV of course. You can find the video here for download.
NOTE: Sonar has a a very odd sense of accidentals if you do not explicitly apply a key.