Micronation is an audio experiment where I took a ~30 seconds of aeolian harp captured during a high wind event and used Melodyne to determine each of four root notes by frequency. [The strings were tuned justly by ear but drift after several hours exposure to the elements outside, especially due to temperature changes] Then I used Paul’s Extreme Sound Stretch to isolation each vertical harmonic structure based upon the roots determined by Melodyne (10 harmonics high by 25 cents wide)and exporting the four files. Then I used Sonar to sequence the exported wav files and applied reverb, EQ, and tape simulation. The experimentally determined roots are 92 Hz, 118 Hz[59/46], 140 Hz[35/23], and 184 Hz [ 2/1 the octave of 92].
Archive for the ‘Aeolian Harp’ Category
Best viewed at the highest resolution available. The native video is in 1080p
By using Celemony’s Melodyne Editor I rearrange the notes within a droning sample from my DIY electric aeolian harp. The tuning is nominally Bohlen-Pierce (stock with Melodyne) but the nature of the aeolian harp means additional pitches are present.
Download Audio or Video
Picture by Chris Vaisvil
nearly an eternity – processed electric aeolian harp
You can see the tuning in Melodyne
DIY Electric Aeolian Harp
Brinno Timelapse camer
Movie Studio Platinum 13
photo by Chris Vaisvil
off tracks age is an aeolian harp sample that was recomposed by using Melodyne 4’s adaptive Just Intonation and rhythm normalization functions and then the exported result was modified using Native Instrument’s Guitar Rig 5 and Cakewalk Sonar’s Breverb.
The above aeolian harp sample (from 2014-11-07 21:12:51 pm) had an interesting sonority to my ears. I wanted to find out what the chord was so that I could reproduce it. So I put it into Melodyne to analyze the chord. As I listened to the file and looked at the display there seemed to be a bit of a disconnect. So I dissected the sample (Sections labeled A through H by ear – there are two disjunct groups) into individual files. Then I normalized them and ran them through Melodyne once more. The resulting sound files and analysis are below. You will notice that in some cases what was a single tone in the original now breaks into more than one note. In other cases more than one note is heard but Melodyne doesn’t show them as separate – I think in these cases the program analysis is tagging them as part of the harmonics which is shown below the main window of the program. Since an aeolian harp is a special case where the harmonics of this is a special case, interesting though it may be. Most of the dead air was removed from the A through H audio samples.
The labeled file below is in Hz. You can download the audio and graphics here as a zip file.
Full file (click on any graphic to enlarge / download)
Perseus Cluster (processed electric aeolian harp) is an ambient directed aleatoric piece – the wind played the aeolian harp after I tuned it. I recorded the result and then I processed the harp through a battery of effects to create an ambient piece that consists of a drone of processed harmonics.
37 edo Aeolian Harp Prelude is a piece composed by modifying with Melodyne a electric aeolian harp drone chord played by the wind. The approximate original tuning was re-tuned to 37 edo from an imported a scala file I made and then the piece composed by adjusting the individual notes.
Aeolian Edit 2 is an experiment with manipulation of an electric aeolian harp sample which I added counterpoint and retuned to 17 edo (equal division of the octave). Since the electric aeolian harp yields only harmonics what has been manipulated are the pitch values that the melodyne detection routine decided were root pitches and *not* harmonics. By retuning to 17 I have recomposed the original content into something other than a pure harmonic relationship. My apologies for the large volume changes – in this case I’d rather have close to a constant loudness but do not have that worked out yet.