Archive for the ‘DIY’ Category

Barrier Cans (Bohlen-Pierce guitar & effects)

Saturday, November 25th, 2017


Barrier Cans (Bohlen-Pierce guitar & effects – behringer Digital Delay DD600 and Strymon El Capistan)

photo by Chris Vaisvil

DIY electric cello update and video performance

Tuesday, November 21st, 2017

I further refined my DIY electric cello by lowering the bridge and chopping away more of the body to allow for easier bowing of the upper two strings. I still have to work out a good way to hold it for performance. To do a traditional vertical method I will have to install a post for it to sit on. At this writing I’m not committed to that. I hope you enjoy the video – I used a Strymon El Capistan as an effect insert in Sonar.

haircut (DIY electric cello conversion from bass)

Friday, November 17th, 2017

haircut” is mainly an experiment with “inserting” an external effect into my DAW (Sonar) on a pre-recorded track. So in this case I get to manipulate the effect real time.

Opposing Views (Double Blue JI)

Monday, October 2nd, 2017


Opposing Views (Double Blue JI) – Two copies of Pianoteq 6 standard offset by 4 midi notes, both with Blue JI. So, middle C is 1/1 and 5/4

photo by Chris Vaisvil

! C:\Cakewalk\scales\blue-ji.scl
!
Blue JI
 12
!
 15/14
 9/8
 6/5
 5/4
 4/3
 7/5
 3/2
 8/5
 5/3
 9/5
 15/8
 2/1

Its a Glitch (Just Intonation, Video)

Friday, May 19th, 2017


using melodyne, sonar, audacity and movie studio – version 2 audio track (which I prefer)
audio only


using melodyne, sonar, audacity and movie studio – version 1 soundtrack
audio only

little life

Thursday, April 27th, 2017

Audio only

Wilson 17 tone 5 limit (scala archive)

Tuesday, April 18th, 2017



A short piano improvisation with the DIY 17 note midi controller and the tuning below.
photo by Chris Vaisvil

! wilson_17.scl
!
Wilson's 17-tone 5-limit scale
17
!
135/128
10/9
9/8
1215/1024
5/4
81/64
4/3
45/32
729/512
3/2
405/256
5/3
27/16
16/9
15/8
243/128
2/1

Mississinewa Lake (17 edo)

Sunday, April 16th, 2017


Mississinewa Lake (17 edo) was created by sampling my electric aeolian harp and using Kontakt to play the sample using the built in note per octave function on my DIY 17 note per octave midi controller. Effects were added in Kontakt and Sonar.
audio only

Micronation (Melodyne processed aeolian harp )

Saturday, March 11th, 2017



Micronation is an audio experiment where I took a ~30 seconds of aeolian harp captured during a high wind event and used Melodyne to determine each of four root notes by frequency. [The strings were tuned justly by ear but drift after several hours exposure to the elements outside, especially due to temperature changes] Then I used Paul’s Extreme Sound Stretch to isolation each vertical harmonic structure based upon the roots determined by Melodyne (10 harmonics high by 25 cents wide)and exporting the four files. Then I used Sonar to sequence the exported wav files and applied reverb, EQ, and tape simulation. The experimentally determined roots are 92 Hz, 118 Hz[59/46], 140 Hz[35/23], and 184 Hz [ 2/1 the octave of 92].

Recomposition Using Celemony’s Melodyne Editor

Sunday, January 15th, 2017


Best viewed at the highest resolution available. The native video is in 1080p

By using Celemony’s Melodyne Editor I rearrange the notes within a droning sample from my DIY electric aeolian harp. The tuning is nominally Bohlen-Pierce (stock with Melodyne) but the nature of the aeolian harp means additional pitches are present.
Download Audio or Video