Bat Bomb – Harmonic Series

carlsbad_aaf_fire_after_bat_bomb_accident

Bat Bomb is part of an ongoing series of experiments to try to learn how to make aeolian harp type sounds. In this case I used Uhe’s Brazille with a patch that manipulated the overtone by adjusting the modwheel. Using my Linnstrument in MPE mode I was able to independently adjust the overtone (13 in total per note) by moving my finger in the “Y” dimension (which was routed to the modwheel channel control) and the root note from Carlos “Super JI” tuning by selecting the pad I played. The original patch had a lot of high end to it and are some time listening to it I decided to turn the filters down to try to get closer to a sine wave. Then I experimented with tempo. I find the 60 BPM version the most interesting at the time I am writing this post though there are some interesting peculiarities of each version. And, no, I don’t feel that came close to the aeolian harp, yet I think the experiment has its merit in learning sound design technique and audio result. Of course YMMV. I present the audio in the order I find most interesting. And yes, the bat bomb was real – click the photo to read about it as you listen.

Here is the audio spectrum analysis of the 60 BPM version. Click to enlarge.
batbombspectrumcapture

60 BPM version

240 BPM version

Original patch, 120 BPM version

Leave a Reply